You can visually check your consumer unit or fuse board yourself to see if it has an RCD or not, they are usually double the width of a normal breaker and should have a test button on marked with a “T”. If this device is not present then it is highly likely that you will need a Consumer Unit Upgrade. As of January 2017 all new installations of consumer units and fuse boards require them to have a metal housing, if your consumer unit is also not made of metal then it is recommended by us to upgrade, though do not confuse the older metal fuse boards as being compliant as they will not have RCD protection.

Do I need a consumer unit upgrade?

From the 3rd Amendment to BS:7671 Wiring Regulations

Chapter 42 – Protection against thermal effects.

Due to the number of consumer unit fires reported within domestic premises, Regulation 421.1.201 (UK only) has been added and requires  consumer units and similar switchgear to have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material or be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with Regulation 132.12.

Please note: This regulation has been implemented on 1st January 2016 to allow for manufacturers to ensure an adequate supply of suitable cabinets or enclosures is available.

Request a Free Quote

One of our electricians will call you back


Pin It on Pinterest