Consumer Unit Upgrade

You can visually check your consumer unit or fuse board yourself to see if it has an RCD or not, they are usually double the width of a normal breaker and should have a test button on marked with a “T”. If this device is not present then it is highly likely that you will need a Consumer Unit Upgrade. As of January 2017 all new installations of consumer units and fuse boards require them to have a metal housing, if your consumer unit is also not made of metal then it is recommended by us to upgrade, though do not confuse the older metal fuse boards as being compliant as they will not have RCD protection.

Do I need a consumer unit upgrade?

From the 3rd Amendment to BS:7671 Wiring Regulations

Chapter 42 – Protection against thermal effects.

Due to the number of consumer unit fires reported within domestic premises, Regulation 421.1.201 (UK only) has been added and requires  consumer units and similar switchgear to have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material or be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with Regulation 132.12.

Please note: This regulation will be implemented on 1st January 2016 to allow for manufacturers to ensure an yadequate supply of suitable cabinets or enclosures is available.

Electrical Safety Certificate – EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report)

Formerly known as a PIR (Periodic Inspection Report) there are many reasons why a householder might request an EICR and indeed they are highly recommended where proof may be required to show an electrical installation is safe. One of the more common reasons an EICR is requested is in rented accommodation where an EICR is the most straightforward and least time consuming method of proving an electrical installation is safe. We would advise the following time frames below

When do I need an EICR?
  • Domestic Home Owners – Every 10 years or change of ownership
  • Domestic Landlords – Every year or change of tenenats
  • Commercial – Every 5 years or change of tenants
  • Public Houses and Bars – Annually 
  • Industrial – Every 3 years

Fault Finding

We can troubleshoot any electrical installation, when problems are found we consult and inform you before replacing any defective equipment or cables. We aim to solve your electrical issues in the least amount of time. One of the most important factors in doing this is the approach used, we use a methodical approach with professional equipment and instruments that allow us to logically and systematically analyse a circuit to determine exactly what is wrong. If you are experiencing difficulties call us now and we will get you up and running in no time at all.

How can I avoid an electrical fault?

The best way to avoid an electrical problem if you have an older installation is by getting an EICR. Any potential problems willbe flagged up and we can advise you on how any potential problems can be avoided. A well maintained and good installation can avoid problems for decades.

  • Domestic Home Owners – Every 10 years or change of ownership
  • Domestic Landlords – Every year or change of tenenats
  • Commercial – Every 5 years or change of tenants
  • Public Houses and Bars – Annually 
  • Industrial – Every 3 years

PAT Testing (Portable Appliance Testing)

Regular portable appliance testing (PAT) supports health & safety.
The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 requires that electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe working order.

For an appliance to be deemed portable you don’t have to be able to lift it and move it elsewhere, a portable appliance is any appliance that is portable from the mains electricity supply by unplugging it. It does not matter which type of plug it is as long as the appliance doesn’t need an electrician to unwire it. Examples of appliances include hair-driers, computers, fridges, washing machines, etc.

When do I need a PAT test?
  • Domestic Home Owners – Every year or change of ownership
  • Domestic Landlords – Every year or change of tenenats
  • Commercial – Every 5 years
  • Public Houses and Bars – Annually
  • Industrial – Every 3 years

Rewires and Partial Rewires

If you are buying or living in a property which is more than 10 years old, it is important to check that the wiring is up to date and still safe for continued use. Bad electrics can be a serious fire hazard and can lead to injury or electrocution. This is why electrics were brought into the building regulations under Part P on the 1st January 2005. Prior existing wiring installations are not covered, however, if you make significant alterations or new additions to the wiring in your home, the regulations come into force. We certificate all our work and we are fully insured, all of our electricians are competent and experienced in electrical installation, giving you the confidence and peace of mind that HomeCert will take care of your electrics. Contact us today to see how we can help you.

Do I need a rewire?

An EICR can reveal the current condition of all installed cables, appropriateness and configuration of fixtures and current using equiment.

Contact Us

Your Details

Let us know how to get back to you.

How can we help?

Please provide as much information as possible. We will get back to you as soon as we can.

Dulwich Village, United Kingdom

“Efficient, friendly and helpful. Gave good advice to save money.”

5 January 2017

“Great service, came on time, very knowledgeable and very polite. Tidy too. Will use again.”

12 December 2016

“Efficient good service , can highly recommend Kurt from HomeCert”

18th November 2016

HomeCert Ltd. London Office

HomeCert Ltd. Surrey Office

14 Ryebrook Road, Leatherhead KT22 7QG
0207 205 2255

HomeCert Ltd, West London Office

HomeCert Ltd, South West London Office

Pin It on Pinterest